Camp Verde Historic Building Walking Tour

THIS SELF-GUIDED TOUR created by the Camp Verde Historical Society includes thirteen historic buildings dating to the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The buildings present a range of construction methods and materials, including adobe brick, hand-milled limestone blocks, rough-hewn pine boards, and ferro-cement. Some of the buildings on this tour scarcely resemble their original structure, while others retain many historic features.

ALL TOUR STOPS are within walking distance of the Camp Verde Historical Society (Stop 1) and are marked with plaques. Sturdy walking shoes are recommended. Bring plenty of water and portable shade in the summer. Please note that Stops 4 and 11 are private residences and visitation is not permitted.

FORT VERDE STATE HISTORIC PARK offers informative displays of U.S. Army life during the Indian Wars of 1871-1875 and is within easy walking distance from Camp Verde's Main Street.

CLEAR CREEK CHURCH is not included on this walking tour, but the historic structure is easily accessible via a paved country road. The Camp Verde Historical Society oversees the maintenance and preservation of the church and its grounds.

Printed tour brochures are available at the Camp Verde Visitor Center. For more information and additional stops visit http://visitcampverde.com/historic-building-walking-tour

Layers
Camp Verde Grammar School, c. 1914
1
Camp Verde Grammar School, c. 1914
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

The local school district superintendent laid the stones for this three-room grammar school building in 1914. He completed the structure during summer breaks. It was the first school building in Camp Verde. Constructed of hand-milled limestone…

Read more
Camp Verde Dance Hall, c. 1915
2
Camp Verde Dance Hall, c. 1915
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

The center of early-day family entertainment, the old Camp Verde Dance Hall was a porch-less, one-and-a-half story, wood framed building with a concrete foundation and few windows. The arched roof is a notable and unusual feature along Camp Verde'…

Read more
Camp Verde Stage Stop and Boarding House, c. 1875
3
Camp Verde Stage Stop and Boarding House, c. 1875
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

William ‘Boss’ Head, a sutler at Fort Verde from the early 1870s to 1890s, built the south wing of this adobe brick stage stop and boarding house circa 1875. The south wing has high tongue-and-groove ceilings, plaster walls, and wide plank floors.…

Read more
Camp Verde Head House, c. 1873
4
Camp Verde Head House, c. 1873
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

William Stanford Head was a central figure during Camp Verde's founding years. Head acquired the nickname "Boss" after the way he bullied the territorial legislature after his appointment in the late 1870s. In 1870, Head purchased the sutler…

Read more
Camp Verde Sutler's Store/Wingfield Building/Camp Verde State Bank, c. 1871-1916
5

Three historic buildings are visible from this stop: the Sutler's Store (1871), the Wingfield Building (1911), and the Camp Verde State Bank (1916).

The adobe bricks in the southernmost walls of the Sutler's Store were laid in 1871. Built…

Read more
Verde Valley Mercantile Company, c. 1917
6
Verde Valley Mercantile Company, c. 1917
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

The Verde Valley Mercantile building is associated with the growth of commerce and automotive transportation in Camp Verde during the 1910s and 1920s. Organized by partners Heath, Back, and Taylor, the building is made from poured concrete. In…

Read more
Camp Verde Joe Lane's Red Star Saloon, c. 1900
7
Camp Verde Joe Lane's Red Star Saloon, c. 1900
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

Like so many historic buildings on Camp Verde’s Main Street, the building known today as the Montezuma Inn has experienced many incarnations. Constructed as the Joe Lane Saloon, the building was also known as the Red Star Saloon due to the…

Read more
Wingfield Store/Boler's Bar, c. 1933
8
Wingfield Store/Boler's Bar, c. 1933
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

The Boler’s Bar building is associated with commercial development along Camp Verde's Main Street during the 1930s. It was originally built by twin brothers Claude and Ralph Wingfield as a grocery store in 1933. Constructed of 1" x 12" exterior…

Read more
Camp Verde Civil Works Administration Jail, c. 1933
9
Camp Verde Civil Works Administration Jail, c. 1933
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

When the military abandoned Fort Verde in 1891, it left the Camp Verde community without a jail. It was not until 1933 when Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal offered federal money for public projects that the town obtained the funds to construct a …

Read more
Old Camp Verde High School, c. 1918
10
Old Camp Verde High School, c. 1918
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

Constructed in 1918, the old Camp Verde High School is now part of the Town of Camp Verde’s government office complex, housing the Public Works, Parks and Recreation, and Finance offices. The school slowly evolved from an older, abandoned two-…

Read more
Camp Verde Armory
11
Camp Verde Armory
Historic or Pre-historic Place | Historic Site

Constructed of locally handmade adobe bricks, the Camp Verde Armory is the oldest U.S. Army structure in the Verde Valley. It served as a storehouse for munitions and armaments necessitated by General George Crook's upgrading of army equipment, supplies,…

Read more

Leave a Comment

Submit

Trip Plan Details

Activities:
Walking:
Duration:

In This Trip Plan

1 Camp Verde Grammar School, c. 1914
2 Camp Verde Dance Hall, c. 1915
3 Camp Verde Stage Stop and Boarding House, c. 1875
4 Camp Verde Head House, c. 1873
5 Camp Verde Sutler's Store/Wingfield Building/Camp Verde State Bank, c. 1871-1916
6 Verde Valley Mercantile Company, c. 1917
7 Camp Verde Joe Lane's Red Star Saloon, c. 1900
8 Wingfield Store/Boler's Bar, c. 1933
9 Camp Verde Civil Works Administration Jail, c. 1933
10 Old Camp Verde High School, c. 1918
11 Camp Verde Armory